Monday, July 6, 2009

Mac and Cheese


The kids and I had mac and cheese with hot dogs for lunch today. Something about that meal choice really brings me back to the days when I was a kid. I just love it!

Steve had to work all weekend, night shift, so the kids and I were on our own for the 4th of July. We basically just stuck around the house during the day, and then headed downtown later in the evening to be on the lawn next to the fort when the fireworks began. It was AWESOME! I haven't seen a show quite that good in a long time...probably since the year we spent the 4th in Washington DC visiting my godparents, but that was in the mid-90's.

Megan and Jeremy sat in my lap for the first half of the 20-minute show, at which time Megan turned to me and said, "Mommy, I think we'll get back in our cart now...." Jeremy quickly followed her, explaining to me, "Yes mommy, it's a little bit scary!" Since we got rid of our standard double stroller a while ago, the "cart" was the trailer we can attach to a bicycle to tote them around the neighborhood. It converts to a stroller by adding a push bar and maneuvering the front wheel in place. They climbed in and pulled down the screen that covers the front, and they seemed to be much more comfortable watching from behind the screen.

After we hustled back to the parking lot (a mile away, since traffic was so crazy down there!), I got the car started and loaded the kids up. Someone walking by saw the dvd screens and laughed and said, "Can you imagine how we survived without things like that?" The kids were watching The Lion King, and having a fine time...good thing, since our "15 minute" car ride home lasted more than an hour with all of the tourist traffic!

No comments:

Post a Comment