Thursday, December 25, 2008

Reminding Myself

Merry Christmas to my friends and family, and to anyone else who stops by to read this blog! I hope you all enjoyed a happy, healthy holiday with those you loved. I have a good friend serving in Iraq right now and he posted photos of their Christmas, and every single person in his photos looks happy, celebrating the holiday. Regardless of how anyone feels about the current military climate overseas, I would like to ask that you remember the men and women who are fighting for us, serving our country. And while you remember them, also remember the loved ones they leave home while they travel for service. I grew up as a Navy brat and wouldn't have had things any other way because I believe your life experiences shape who you are now, but we spent quite a few Christmases without my dad at home, and I know it's not an easy task. So God bless our troops, and God bless the families they represent.

That being said, I'm currently sitting on my couch checking email and (obviously) updating my blog. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve with my side of the family and a wonderful Christmas Day with Steve's side of the family, and the kids had a fantastic time opening gifts. I prepared a meal for 12 people today, something I don't do on an ordinary basis by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn't the world's greatest meal, but I did it and that's what counts, right? Somewhere in the midst of the celebrations, both yesterday and today, and quite possibly due to the lack of sleep SANTA had last night getting ready for this morning, I started getting a bit down in the dumps. But I have found hope in the reminder that the true reason for the season is Jesus Christ. Who would have ever imagined that one baby could make such a difference in the world? There is a new song by Faith Hill on her Christmas album called "A Baby Changes Everything," and we know this to be true firsthand because our kids have sure changed our lives, but it's such an impressive reminder of why we celebrate. My turkey may not have been very tasty, the potatoes might have been somewhat soupy, my Christmas cards didn't get ordered in time, and I spent 862 hours wrapping presents with Steve (next year, gift bags will be my friends), but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that a baby was born "Away in a Manger" and He brought "Joy to the World."

As my children have stated so ambitiously for a few days now, "Happy birthday, Jesus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment