Monday, November 17, 2008

Toddler Trials

Megan has come down with a nasty cough that shows no interest in leaving her alone. The coughing started last week, near the end of the morning on Friday. Of course, it was a mild cough, and I didn't think anything of it at that point. By last night, I knew it was getting worse, and then this morning she woke up hacking and I immediately called the pediatrician's office to get her an appointment today. At least it didn't get really bad until Monday, so the doctor's office was open again. :)

We didn't see our regular doc, as I requested to see the first one available (out of the three in the practice...we like all three just fine). He listened to her chest for a few minutes with his stethescope, prompting lots of giggles from the princess girl, and told me that he could hear a light wheeze when she breathes. Jeremy had respiratory issues when he was about four months old, and so we're quite familiar with wheezing. We don't like it, but it's not such a "scary" term when you've dealt with it several times before!

Luckily we already have a nebulizer from Jeremy's earlier battles, so all it took was a script for Albuterol. The nebulizer looks like a penguin, and now the kids are old enough to really appreciate this fact. :) We did our first treatment before the kids took a nap today, and she handled it like a pro. If she's not showing improvement by Wednesday afternoon, the doctor said we'd have to figure out what Plan B is.

I was hoping to visit a few friends this week, but those plans will have to be rescheduled. Megan and Jeremy are my first priority, and we certainly don't want to cause anyone else to be sick (even if she's not contagious...we're not taking chances!). Please pray that I can find lots of things to occupy the kids this week. And lots of strength to keep healthy myself, too!

2 comments:

  1. try rubbing vicks on her feet and then putting socks on. It really helps keep the coughing to a minium and helps them sleep. Sounds weird I know but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Megan feeling better today? I hope so. Luke had to go to the Dr last week for a sinus and ear infection.

    I am glad she likes the penguin. I know that makes it easier on you and her.

    I will be saying a prayer for her.

    ReplyDelete